I decided to base the size of my VR map topics based on my usage, for example Snapchat and Instagram are used very often (multiple times per day), while I very rarely use twitter. LinkedIn is judged more by its impact rather than its usage, as it is extremely useful and I get a lot out of the application although I seldom use it (a few times per week).

What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional networks?

Personally, I am keeping my professional network small, as I still do not have the experience or the need to share my professional profile with the world. Having had no formal business experience, I simply use LinkedIn to connect with friends that may have positions open for me in the future, so I am able to see these positions when necessary.

What can you (as a student) consider to expand your professional learning network?

Before COVID, I was using face-to-face networking as well as family connections to expand my professional learning network, as it was more future-oriented, and I had no need for immediate employment. Now, however, I am more focused on upcoming employment, as I am searching for a co-op in the spring and summer. Unfortunately, due to COVID I have been forced to stop the networking, relying solely on already formed relationships to find myself a co-op job.

In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

A digital identity is often created without any thought given, simply by the photos posted and the comments made. It is much like a personal demeanor: It is something that strangers can judge you by, allowing for first impressions to be solely what kind of photos you post. For example, I only post photos on my Instagram that I am comfortable showing my whole family, which creates an atmosphere of what most would consider ‘nice’ photos – vacations, adventures, and time spent with my friends, family and girlfriend. However, I will certainly say that I have judged people based on their digital footprint (i.e. their posts/photos/comments), only to find that their personality is far from their online persona.

Consider what a local employer would do if you applied for a job with them – can they search the content, is it of benefit to the career path, does it hinder the opportunity of employment?

If my boss had a look through my social media accounts (which I’m sure he has, as we are connected on all platforms), he wouldn’t bat an eye, as I simply only post positive, family-friendly things on my social media accounts due to many family members connecting with me online.

http://experimental.worldcat.org/vandrmapping/signIn